Friday, June 25, 2010

Camden Day 5

Hey guys,
This is the last day of service here at Camden, NJ. So far I have had the most amazing week. This trip had such an impact on my life. These people and experiences have truly changed what I think about people. So many stereotypes we have heard about Camden have been false and this is all proven by all the people I have met this week. These people have such great faith in their communities and in God and it really is one of the things that keep the community going. As people try to close the gap between being poor and rich in Camden; people are also need to try to close the gap between the great people we have met all week and all the people who are causing problems and violence in this city. I have learned not to judge people who are poor, homeless, or abusing drugged because they have fallen into a hole that usually is not their fault. Injuries, loss of jobs or housing can all bring these people down. These experiences have come from visiting sites like New Visions (homeless day shelter), Abigail House (a home for the elderly and physically and mentally disabled), Francis House (a house for ones infected with HIV/AIDS), and also today I went to the St. Francis Inn (serving food to those who are short on money or homeless). This trip has changed my life spiritually and socially and I believe that it can effect many more people if they keep coming here and trying to help out. I hope that BC High can continue to send a group here and maybe another group as well a different week. Signing off to a great experience this week.

Ryan Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment