Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Camden Day 2

Hey Guys,
My name is Danny Curtis and I have been taking part in the Camden Service Trip through BC High. Today I started working in the St. Joseph's preschool program, helping out the teachers and taking stuff down off the wall. The kids there were shy at first but they warmed up quickly once I handed out a few animal bracelets. They were really funny, and opened up completely after a while. Then we drove over to West Philly and volunteered at a thrift shop, which sold clothes at extermely low prices to the poor of Philadelphia. The best part of the day was when we spoke with the store owner, Papa. He told us all about his life. At the end of his story I was amazed. Papa faced severe learning disabilities but was able to overcome them and live a life of complete selflessness. He helped countless poor kids, abandoned by their drug addicted parents. He did this by introducing them to God through bible classes, taking them into his store, and even adopting one abandoned girl. Papa was the most loving and inspiring person I have ever met. This trip has been incredible so far, and I'm sure that it will continue to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment