Friday, June 25, 2010

Camden Day 5- Andrew Scott

Hello everyone,
I would like to start off by stating all the service sites i have participated in. The sites were Hopeworks, Abigail house, Ten Thousand Villages, Sanctuary, and St. Francis Inn. Hopeworks is an organization that sets up programs so young men and women from the age of 17 to 24, these people are given a chance to get a high school diploma or a college diploma. As the people finish their diplomas, they are given a chance to work at the Hopeworks organization. Abigail house was by far the best work site i went to because i got to work with different people than i normally do, for instance; paralyzed, homeless, mentally ill, physically challenged and elderly people. At this site, you are able to meet some very good people even if they are mentally ill. One person I remember is Kenny Taylor, a war veteran and now he is physically challenged because of bad legs. Ten Thousand Villages is an organization that promotes fair trade by having all their products hand made by artisans around the world. Sanctuary is an organization that take in men who have been addicted to drugs or alcohol. The men who stay here have two years there until they are thrown out. By this time, the men should be healed. At St. Francis Inn, I served men who were homeless, or people who are less fortunate in the city of Philadelphia. As I walked around serving, I would sit and talk with people. One man i met is Glen, he talked to me about his daughter and how she graduated from college and now working for government. This was probably the best thing I have heard during Camden because most of the high schools have a high drop out rate. For instance, one school called Woodrow Wilson High has a 95 percent drop out. I encourage all of you to take a trip here or a trip similar to this, so you can experience this. I will guarantee you that you will change as a person. I grew new perspectives for homelessness and poverty. I am so glad I was picked to go here.

Andrew Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment